Wednesday 7 January 2015

Begin as you mean to proceed

I finished my MBA on December 5th, but between job interviews, a three week trip to Winnipeg, and another trip to Pennsylvania, today was the first day of the rest of my life. I don't have a job (yet) and  we are being forced out of our apartment by our landlords, so I have no idea where I'll be in two months. I'm trying to treat job hunting like a job that involves me sitting at the computer from 9-5 but, well, we've still got to eat. And on zero salaries right now, we have to be a little bit bit frugal (this is not in my nature).

For dinner last night, we had Pinch of Yum's Hoisin Pork with Noodles. I'd made it once before, and it was a big hit, and somehow seemed ideal for a cold night after a long day of trying to get myself organized.

A couple of notes:
-She says the prep time is 15 minutes. This is a lie, as it includes an "overnight or for at least several hours" marinate. It's totally hidden in the second step and a quick glance at the recipe will miss it. That said, I marinated for 30 minutes this time and it was still delicious.
-This is a very sweet sauce, and go figure as it's got 2 tbsps of honey, 1 tbsp of sugar, and 3 tbsps of hoisin sauce. I think you could easily cut those quantities in half if they make you nervous.
-I skipped both the hot pepper and the peanut butter. Still delicious.
-My grocery store is inconsistent in their sliced pork selection, so this time I got 'Pork Loin Rib Chops Boneless' at $13.21/kg. It worked out to about $7 of pork, which I sliced myself.
-I think the amount of leftover sauce after marinating will depend on how long you marinate, that said, both times I've had lots extra. We're sauce people, so a quick internet search revealed if you bring your marinade to a boil for a few minutes, you'll be good to use it as a sauce.
-Test your rice noodles before you drain them. I'm paranoid about overcooked noodles, but rice noodles seem to take longer than advertised.
-I think cucumber and bean sprouts would also be great veggies to add here.

Useful kitchen appliances:
-For mincing garlic and ginger, I rely on my Chopper Grinder. It's small, efficient, and easy to clean after use.
-You can live without a food processor, truly, particularly if you have a Chopper Grinder, but this Cuisinart Food Processor makes tasks like grating carrots super quick (and you're far less likely to grate a finger).

No comments:

Post a Comment